Windsor, Maine is small town of 2240 residents located approximently 13 miles east of our state capitol, Augusta. Windsor began as a plantation known as New Waterford. The town was incorporated as Malta in 1809. In 1820 it was reincorporated as Gerry to honor statesman Elbridge Gerry and two years later it was incorporated again as Windsor. One of Windsor's historical claims to fame is the Malta War in 1809. Today Windsor is home to the 2nd largest agricultural fair.
The Windsor historical Society was established in 1973 to promote interest in the Upper Sheepscot Valley area. To acquaint and educate present & future generations with customs, habits and the way of life in Windsor and the surrounding area.